Monday, October 22, 2007

Collected Statistics

Was saying in my previous blog entry that I am going to collect data on the gender and age of people who travels on the lane markings itself. Because these are the people who obstruct my smooth flow of riding, so they get me a little on my edge sometimes. These are what I managed to collect:

Number 1

Car Model: Sonata
Colour: Goldenish
Driver: Male
Age: Late fifties to early sixties

Number 2

Car Model: Kelisa
Colour: Greyish
Driver: Male
Age: Late Forties to early fifties

Comments: For such a mini car as Kelisa, I am utterly amazed at how he can travel on the lane markings for such long distances. My Bike will probably be as wide as his car if I put two side boxes. So how, how in the world did the amazing driver not keep to lane when his car is so small compared to the lane.

Number 3

Car Model: Old Civic Model, SDL plate possibly vti version
Driver: Male
Age: Early twenties

Comments: Very young chap. Looks younger than me.

Number 4

Car Model: Jazz
Driver: Female
Age: Early Thirties

Comments: Followed her for about 5 minutes in her blindspot, hoping she will get out of the lane markings so that I can squeeze through (5 mins is a long time for vehicles on expressway, considering I take 25mins to travel from Simei to Boon Lay). But all this while she just happily travelled on the lane makings. After some time she decided she wants to change lane and she just changed without checking her blind spot and without signalling. However, I am attuned to cars like that on the road, changing lanes without knowing I am there, so I had been trained to spot drivers that demonstrate behaviours or intention of lane changing. Hence, I manage to know that she wanted to change lane before she actually did, and I pressed my horn to warn her I am there.

I spotted two other cars that had half their right side wheels into the other lane already. Note, they are not just travelling on the lane markings, they had their half of their right side wheels totally out into the other lane already. Therefore, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they wanted to change lane, which could possibly explain why they are so totally off. However, after I past them and though there were no cars behind me, they did not change lanes. They were so off simply because they were that lousy. No other reasons. I wonder how they got their licence... Anyway having zoom past them, I am too lazy to slow down and check who is the idiot controlling the machine, so I just left my specimens alone.

Data collection had been going on really slow, because at night or very early morning, it is too dark, so I can't see the driver hidden inside. Other times I am just riding too fast to capture details of the drivers.

Next, the lane markings over paya lebar road had not been widen. They had placed a few layers over since I last updated my blog and they corrected the markings. I think they made a mistake in the width in the first layer, but subsequently they corrected it.

If I have the chance I should really drive a weekend car out illegally on a rainy day, cause never in my 5 years of riding experience have I ever met a TP on a rainy day. It is like TP and rains are mutually exclusive and thus they cannot coexist. A simple metaphor to illustrate this would be driving and sleeping. You don't fall asleep and still expect to drive like normal right? Sleeping and driving cannot occur together, well so does TP and rain. So one day, if I ever had the chance to owe a weekend car, I shall execute to prove my theory :p

3 comments:

Guy said...

dun just remember the details, concentrate on riding...

Saphy said...

wahahaha u always asking me to concentrate on my riding :p But riding dun need concentration de ma, except when it rains

Guy said...

need loh.. how can dun need... have to take note of wat those cars doing..